Subject: Re: Printer filters
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Steve Quint <squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1998 11:21:05
At 9:05 AM -0700 10/16/98, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>I personally don't like the idea of the system deciding what to do
>with my print job based on suffix, or whatever. That's too much like
>DOS for my taste, and furthermore it's not necessary. "enscript," and
>"tex", e.g., can be set to pipe their output to lpr, so I just do
>that. As far as they know, it's a real postscript printer.

Actually, all of the filter packages that I've looked into uses file magic
to determine the file type, which I guess would be bad if you really wanted
to dump the ASCII in a postscript file to the printer.

My major concern is how to distinct a color file with a black and white
file.  Do they look the same to ghostscript?

>#
>case $1 in
>	-c) cat /dev/stdin
>	;;
>	*) /usr/pkg/bin/gs -q -sOutputFile=- "@stc.upp" /dev/stdin -c quit
>#	*) /usr/pkg/bin/gs -q -sOutputFile=- "@stc_h.upp" /dev/stdin -c quit
>	;;
>esac

Just curious here, but does the stcolor.ps device work for you in ghostscript.

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick