Subject: Re: X (more)
To: Mark de Jong <mdj@home.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1998 05:28:27
If you don't have a ~/.xsession file, xsm will start up the twm window
manager by default.  The title bars, scroll bars, etc., are all "window
dressing" put there by the window manager.

So, if you want the window dressing, but don't want to use xsm, create
yourself a .xsession file and startup the window manager of your choice.

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Mark de Jong wrote:

> Ok. I've got X up and running. And I've been playing around a bit, but I'm
> still confused (tho, not as confused as before ... there's hope! <grin>)
>
> There seems to be a connection between running "xsm" and having title bars
> on the windows. In other words, if I run "xsm", then the windows of "xterm"
> and "xclock" (the two x apps I've been playing with) have title bars.
> Otherwise, they don't.
>
> Is this a function of xsm? Or should there be title bars regardless?
>
> Also, sometimes windows don't have scroll bars when they need them ... and
> sometimes scrollbars show up, but I'm able to move the "thumb" off the
> scrollbar and onto the X background. This seems like a bug ...
>
> Thanks for the help I've received so far. Please clue me in on these items. :-)
>
> 	-- Mark

> Mark de Jong                Macintosh Development              mdj@home.com

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |