Subject: Re: Erratic booting & panics
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann" , "NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1998 20:00:12
Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@wcnet.org> wrote:

>I have a Q650, running NetBSD 1.3.2 with a generic kernel.  The machine is
>very nice when it's up and running, often for weeks at a time.  When
>circumstances make it necessary to shutdown & reboot, the following
>sequence of events occurs, with alarming regularity:
>
>1. shutdown -r from NetBSD; Mac reboots and I get chimes of death and a
>sad mac.
>2. Restart Mac.  Boots into MacOS fine.
>3. Boot NetBSD.  Boot proceeds a short way and then the kernel panics.
>Reboot from the debugger.  Mac OS boots fine.
>4. Boot NetBSD again.  This time a nasty kernel panic with pages and
>pages of errors flying by.  Restart the Mac with the power button.  MacOS
>boots fine.
>5. Boot NetBSD again, and this time no problems, we're back up and running.

I'm seeing something very similar with 1.3.2 on my Performa-550.  If I
boot into single-user and exit from there to multi-user I never see the
problem though.  It makes me think there is some sort of timing issue at
the time the filesystems are mounted, and I think someone else discovered
a similar thing happening with fsck on system startup.  Possibly putting
a delay in the rc.* scripts before the filesystem mounts will eliminate
the problem?

-bob