Subject: Re: Path setting
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1998 11:45:53
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:
> Yeah..., this is the kind of disastar I had in mind but I figured it
> wouldn't be so bad as you can boot into single-user mode and choose
> your shell.  You can always type enter at the prompt to choose
> /bin/sh.

I change root's shell to /usr/pkg/bin/tcsh on my machines, but I set the
password for toor (Bourne-again Superuser), in case I need to login with
/bin/sh. I've only needed to do that once though, and I don't remember
why anymore... maybe I accidentally deleted tcsh or something :)

If your /usr partition was totally screwed up, you couldn't even get to
multiuser mode and the login prompt; getty is in /usr/libexec. If you have
a buggy libc.so that makes all dynamically linked programs dump core, you
won't be able to run multiuser either (getty's dynamically linked). So
having root's shell on /usr seems pretty safe to me, especially if you
have toor's account set up. I suppose someone concerned about security
might want to have root's shell on / and mount / read-only or something...