Subject: Re: Cry babe, cry... Installer error on Mac IIci
To: Carlos Terre <cterre@activ.es>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1998 22:25:02
Carlos Terre wrote:
> Joshua E Hope (mailto:otaku@unixgeek.ml.org) escribi_ en fecha 1998.10.07
> 12:10:
>
> >Since you asked for "any" help, I will offer this: Have you ran Mkfs on
> >the Root&Usr partition?
>
> Hi again!
>
> Well, I had done it right the first time... but I tried a different thing
> and I got something working, at least:
>
> I moved the MacOS from the built-in hard drive to the external, and I
> reformatted the internal drive, creating a single BSD Root partition. I
> am now installing BSD on that partition and everything seems to be
> working.
>
> Only I could not, again, mount the partitions on the external drive:
>
> > Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>
> I got this error message again when trying to
>
> mount /dev/sd1a /usr
>
> I guess there must be some problem either with the formatting parameters
> I used, or with the fact that this drive contains MacOS+ partitions in
> it, or with the fact that I used HDT 2.5.2 to partition the drive...
>
> Any hints???

Ummmm....I think that we might have real problems with a drive containing
HFS+ partitions.  I want to say that someone (Steve Allen, maybe?) ran
into this a few months ago.  However, there are other known problems with
large drives and having the NetBSD partitions towards the end of the
drive.  In general, I find that NetBSD works better when it's at the
beginning of a drive or on the drive by itself.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation