Subject: Re: Help with 1.3.2 ...
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1998 19:37:23

>I have set up 1.3.2 on a IIci from scratch and I am having trouble with
>the network settings.  I have configured the following files:
>
>	myname
>	mygate
>	ifconfig.ae0
>	hosts
>	defaultdomain
>	rc.conf
>	resolv.conf

Chris,
    What does dmesg tell you about the interface ae0?  Is it found at
boot time?

    With 1.3.2 you should only need to do the ifconfig.ae0 and the rc.conf
to get the net going.  I understand you need/want the other stuff too, of
course...but did you maybe skip the hostname, domainname, and defaultroute
setting in rc.conf?  Thats why you don't need the separate files myname
and mygate anymore, and since you created them I'm thinking that you might
have missed that in rc.conf.

    Anyway, if ae0 is found ok without error during boot, I was thinking
it must be the other stuff.  I've seen the builtin ethernet on my 840AV
go missing with 1.3.2, and I believe that may be due to the signal problem
but I'm not sure.  Could that be why it might not find your ae0 perhaps?
I'm told thats why I can't use my nubus video cards with SLOTMAN #341. If
its not finding your ethernet card, maybe thats the same problem too?

Paul