Subject: Re: help: gmake of postgreSQL
To: Fabiano petrone <fabiano.petrone@bib.uniud.it>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1998 17:52:31
At 1:18 AM -0700 10/6/98, Fabiano petrone wrote:
>I'd like to install psql 6.3.2 on my mac LC 630 (netbsd 1.3.2).
>I've installed the GNU make with success, but when I do the gmake for
>pgSQL, at a certain point the process stops with the following message:
>
>gmake [2] : Entering directory '/usr/src/pgsql/src/backend/parser'
>/usr/bin/yacc -d gram.y
>/usr/bin/yacc : f - maximum table size exceeded
>gmake [2] : *** [parse.h] error 2

First the newer versions (6.3.x) seem to require Gnu flex instead of good
old lex (though they are the same on NetBSD AFAIK).  I know 6.1.1 got
confused without Gun ReadLine installed also.  I would not be surprised if
bison was required now as well, but I thought the grammar files were
delivered already parsed?  (Maybe I'm getting confused with gcc itself
though.)

Second, Postgres is known not to work on any NetBSD/m68k.  It fails during
initdb, but the client tools work just fine with a server on another
machine (at least as of 6.1.1.)

If you want to debug the problem you will need to install Postgres on some
other working machine.  Run initdb with the verbose option (or debug or
whatever it is).  Then try it on NetBSD and compare the printouts to see
where they diverge.  That will tell you which process you need to run gdb
on to find the real problem.

Good luck.  If you fix it drop me a line will you?  I don't expect to get
back to this problem any time soon.