Subject: Re: Modems in Germany
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/05/1998 06:31:48
Hi,

This is a stab in the dark, because I don't have any expereince setting up
modems in Germany. However, I saw the same thing with US-made GV Mercury
and Platinum modems in Japan. The problem turned out to be a voltage
difference (Japan is 100v). Once I got a "step up" transformer to convert
100v to 120v, the modems would work.

The interesting thing is that older GV modems would work. Also, this
seemed to change from location to location (i.e., the modem would work in
one house, but not in another). I have never seen this problem with any
other make of modem, just the GV Mercury and Platinum modems.

I don't know what the voltage is in Germany, but I hope this fixes the
problem.

Mark

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> Sorry, folks - I know this is wildly off-topic, but it just occurred to me
> that this list must unclude some people with experience using modems in
> Germany, so I take the liberty of using this board to get an introduction.
> Just reply to me privately to avoid creating an off-topic thread!
>
> My problem: I set up a PB540 with Mac OS 7.5.5 and a 19kb Global Village
> Powerport Mercury modem for a friend who lives in Diesdorf, Sachsen/Altmark
> in the former DDR. Her phone, howerver, was installed only 5 years ago, and
> appears to be modern Jappanese equipment.
> Using the Global Village software supplied with the modem, everything works
> perfectly here in the US.
>
> In Diesdorf, however,
>
> 1) It doesn't recognize the dial tone. I fixed this so it ignores the dial
> tone.
>
> 2) It dials the number, but the phone system seems not to recognize the
> tones - in any event, the phone at the other end never answers. Thinking
> that there might be a lot of capacitance on the lines, I tried setting the
> tones to their maximum length (S11=170), but that had no effect.
>
> Somehow, I have to instruct her, from the US, how to get it working. I
> characterize her as a "competent naive-user".
>
> Global Village tech support has been no help, and since they were bought
> out, I have been unable to contact them.
>
> A friend has suggested that the German Post has a monopoly on modems, which
> it has jiggered the phone system to preserve. Is this true? I thought that
> they had tried that but had given up.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Multithanx,
>
> Dan Killoran

> Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
>                  Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
>       Fast service - accurate work - responsive support
>
>          (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/