Subject: Modems in Germany
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/04/1998 10:03:51
Sorry, folks - I know this is wildly off-topic, but it just occurred to me
that this list must unclude some people with experience using modems in
Germany, so I take the liberty of using this board to get an introduction.
Just reply to me privately to avoid creating an off-topic thread!

My problem: I set up a PB540 with Mac OS 7.5.5 and a 19kb Global Village
Powerport Mercury modem for a friend who lives in Diesdorf, Sachsen/Altmark
in the former DDR. Her phone, howerver, was installed only 5 years ago, and
appears to be modern Jappanese equipment.
Using the Global Village software supplied with the modem, everything works
perfectly here in the US.

In Diesdorf, however,

1) It doesn't recognize the dial tone. I fixed this so it ignores the dial
tone.

2) It dials the number, but the phone system seems not to recognize the
tones - in any event, the phone at the other end never answers. Thinking
that there might be a lot of capacitance on the lines, I tried setting the
tones to their maximum length (S11=170), but that had no effect.

Somehow, I have to instruct her, from the US, how to get it working. I
characterize her as a "competent naive-user".

Global Village tech support has been no help, and since they were bought
out, I have been unable to contact them.

A friend has suggested that the German Post has a monopoly on modems, which
it has jiggered the phone system to preserve. Is this true? I thought that
they had tried that but had given up.

Any suggestions?

Multithanx,

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)