Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1998 18:28:14
On Samstag, 29. August 1998 12:47:11 Uhr, Ken Nakata wrote:

>Did you install the ``man'' set?  That is, the NetBSD distribution is
>divided into multiple sets that are collections of various parts of
>the system grouped together by their functions.  The ``man'' set
>contains the man command and man pages.  This is explained in the
>INSTALL document that comes with the distribution.

Ken,

yes, but I used the NetBSD Installer. I'll redo it in the correct way.

>What do you mean by you "see, from the prompt the CDRom drive"?  I
>understand you see some information about your CD-ROM drive in the
>boot message, but I'm not sure what you mean by you see it from the
>prompt.

I can do "disklabel cd0" and get some results. There are 3 partitions,
format ISO9660 ecc.

>Probably because you haven't mounted the CD.  You mount a CD-ROM by
>the following command (assuming your drive is cd0 and you have a
>directory /cdrom):
>
>mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom

I tried this (and also the way Paul Goyette adviced), but I couldn't mount
it.

Btw, since among the results of disklabel there was indicated ISO9660 as
format I also tried that instead of CD9660 and the error msg was slightly
different. Since it is written on the info of that CD (Gateway3) it would be
bootable from an Amiga or 386, could I boot from it using the booter? What
should be specified there in the booter options? ID 3 (for scsi id) and cd0a
as boot root?

>Anyway, unfortunately,
>there is not yet a way to change the key mappings without compiling
>your own kernel.  I think it should be easy enough to make the kernel
>have multiple key mapping tables and change mappings depending on the
>type of keyboard connected (*)

Easy for you . . .:) Ok, I'll look and see. For the moment I can go on with
the US layout, the only really odd problem is, in the german keyboard the
"Z" is in the place of "Y" (of the american and vice versa).

Thanks a lot and best regards, Ulrich