Subject: netmask & 4 machines
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dale Einarson <dale@me.concordia.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 11:27:02
hello,  ( I would love some help )

I have a problem...  ( I am a great user, but a horrible admin ).  I have :
	2 Linux/ ( Win95,WinNT),   2 MacBSD,   1 MacOS 6.0.7
		*Small local network ( only modem to Internet )
		*I set the net mask for 255.255.255.0 ( IP 192.168.0.x ), all are Ethernet.

	I find there is a delayed start in every IP action to or from any UNIX box
mentioned
if I telnet it can take up to 10 minutes  ( UNIX <-> anything). Once I have
the telnet "login:" everything is fine.

NOTE :  ping, telnet, rlogin, FTP all have this delay but HTTP is fine.
NOTE:  The problem is worse on the MacBSD ... telnet localhost in fine on
linux,  but 10 min on MacBSD

	I don't have a BIND or Gateway configured.  Is this the problem?  What
should the gateway be, I mean localhost, one of the computers, imaginary...?

Thank you all for your help!
cheers!

LEGEND:  <-> to or from ( for the font impared)

	==> I read the IPNAT and DHCP emails ( very interesting )

PS:   IPNAT (NetBSD   mac  II ci) Vs. IPMASQ ( LINUX pentium 120 )  and
experiences witch is better faster more "together" ?

PSS:  How does one correctly type UNIX?  UN*X ... ?
PSSS:  If this is a BIND or Admin prob please direct me to the nearest
howto on " whatever it is"

Dale Einarson
=8{>
514-843-9358 vox / fax