Subject: Re: Apache (formerly: identd and NetBSD)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 10:45:09
Josh Hope
"Yes, I use UNIX. Why are you laughing?!"
root                 nefas       melkor
root@unixgeek.ml.org @SuperChat  @ChatNet
                   http://unixgeek.ml.org

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > I also saw lines opening the log files (with no errors I could see).
>
> So your log files should exist, then, and just be empty?  Did you check
> the exact location as specified in the ktrace output?

They still do not exist...

> > Here's the tail of the ktrace.out file...
> >
> >  21550 httpd    CALL  close(0x3)
> >  21550 httpd    RET   close 0
> >  21550 httpd    CALL  break(0x6bffc)
> >  21550 httpd    RET   break 0
> >  21550 httpd    CALL  chdir(0x2c39c)
> >  21550 httpd    NAMI  "/"
> >  21550 httpd    RET   chdir 0
> >  21550 httpd    CALL  fork
> >  21550 httpd    RET   fork 21551/0x542f
> >  21550 httpd    CALL  exit(0)
> >
> > I don't know if that says anything...
>
> This says that it forked the child process and then exited.  That's
> usually a sign that it was "daemonizing" (see 'man daemon').  That is,
> this sounds perfectly normal, and sounds like there should "now" be
> a process with PID 21551 running, serving HTTP requests (assuming that
> nothing else is holding port 80 open).  Try doing the ktrace/kdump with
> -X on the httpd command-line (that will prevent it from daemonizing).

Nope, httpd totally drops. I can't make any connections via lynx, and its
process doesn't show up in a ps -aux...

> Also, can you tell me what command-line you're using to start the
> server, and an ls -l of your server root directory (the directory
> containing htdocs, logs, conf, etc.)

I was using just plain 'httpd'...the included apachectl script starts it
this way...

Also, I know everything is in it's correct position because I configured
it all with Apache's configure and didn't move anything, and used Apache's
install script to install everything...

Starting httpd with -X: the process still doesn't show up in a ps, and
isn't running. Here's the tail of the ktrace.out file:

 27896 httpd    GIO   fd 2 wrote 33 bytes
       "fopen: No such file or directory
       "
 27896 httpd    RET   writev 33/0x21
 27896 httpd    CALL  write(0x2,0xffffc06c,0x40)
 27896 httpd    GIO   fd 2 wrote 64 bytes
       "httpd: could not open document config file /usr/conf/httpd.conf
       "
 27896 httpd    RET   write 64/0x40
 27896 httpd    CALL  exit(0x1)

Hmmm...it's looking for the config files in the wrong place. But without
-X it seemed to find them fine (since the contents of the config files
were actually in the ktrace.out).

Here's the ls -l

total 14
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Aug 17 03:43 ./
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  2048 Aug 22 02:35 ../
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Aug 17 03:48 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  1024 Aug 17 03:45 include/
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   512 Aug 17 03:43 share/
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   512 Aug 26 02:56 var/

Thanks Allen...