Subject: Re: Apache (formerly: identd and NetBSD)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 02:59:43
Josh Hope
"Yes, I use UNIX. Why are you laughing?!"
root                 nefas       melkor
root@unixgeek.ml.org @SuperChat  @ChatNet
                   http://unixgeek.ml.org

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > I think you have to create the initial log files yourself.  Apache will
> > look for the files and if they can't be found then it forgets about it.
>
> This is not true.  More likely, it's not able to find the configuration
> files.  If you have options KTRACE in your kernel, you can use ktrace
> and kdump to trace the standalone server.  I run Apache on
> www.macbsd.com and have for quite some time.  Haven't touched it in
> over a year, I think.

Welp, I ran ktrace and kdump. It appears Apache does find the conf files
(because they were displayed in full in kdump). So that is not a problem,
I also saw lines opening the log files (with no errors I could see).
Here's the tail of the ktrace.out file...

 21550 httpd    CALL  close(0x3)
 21550 httpd    RET   close 0
 21550 httpd    CALL  break(0x6bffc)
 21550 httpd    RET   break 0
 21550 httpd    CALL  chdir(0x2c39c)
 21550 httpd    NAMI  "/"
 21550 httpd    RET   chdir 0
 21550 httpd    CALL  fork
 21550 httpd    RET   fork 21551/0x542f
 21550 httpd    CALL  exit(0)

I don't know if that says anything...

> In any case, it will create the log files if it has permission to write
> to the directory (you might want to check that, too).

Thanks Alan...I checked the permissions, and even made the dir 777, but
still no log files appear...it seems everything goes right, all the conf
files are loaded, but why the last exit call...?

Thanks to everyone :)