Subject: None
To: None <dpaul01@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1998 10:16:48
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:00:58 -0500 (CDT), Danny Paul wrote:
> I hope I'm not abusing this address,

Not at all.  Abuse of this mailing list address usually involves a
SPAM ;-)

> 	1. If I'm repartioning my hard drive to make way for NetBSD and
> all the info on it is obliterated, how am I going to get back into Mac-OS
> to restore my hard drive?

If the files are important, you have to make a back-up copy of your
HFS volume before repartitioning.  I usually use StuffIt Lite and a
Zip drive to do this.

I've heard of a utility program which would supposedly `compact' the
files and folders into the top of volume then shrink the HFS
partition, but I've never seen or used it myself (anybody know what
it's called and where I can find it?).

> 	2. After NetBSD is completely installed, when I turn on my
> computer, which OS will it boot into, NetBSD or Mac-OS? (Your documentation
> was a little vague on this one.)

Your Mac will always boot into MacOS first.  In fact, you _must_ run a
MacOS application called "BSD/mac68k Booter" to boot into NetBSD (*).

*: Ok, I lied.  There is a Booter extension which does the same thing,
but it's not part of the official distribution.

> 	3. Really Stupid Question! : Will I be able to use normal Mac
> programs (Microsoft Word, for example) while I am booted in NetBSD?

Not stupid at all.  I myself sometimes wish we could do that, but
unfortunately we cannot (yet).  Perhaps in the future.  Maybe.

> 	4. I regularly do work on a Mainframe machine.  Will I be able to
> tn3270 from NetBSD?

There is a command tn3270 (/usr/bin/tn3270).

Hope this helps,

Ken