Subject: Re: your mail
To: Danny Paul <dpaul01@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1998 18:17:18
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Danny Paul wrote:

> I hope I'm not abusing this address, but I have a few questions before I
> get started installing NetBSD 1.3.2.  These may be stupid questions, but
> they may end-up helping me a great deal when I finally get around to
> putting it all together.
>
> 	1. If I'm repartioning my hard drive to make way for NetBSD and
> all the info on it is obliterated, how am I going to get back into Mac-OS
> to restore my hard drive?

Quite simply, you need to have another drive you can boot from.  A
Norton Emergency Disk is quite handy for this purpose, assuming your
backup is Notron-created.

> 	2. After NetBSD is completely installed, when I turn on my
> computer, which OS will it boot into, NetBSD or Mac-OS? (Your documentation
> was a little vague on this one.)

Easy question:  you can only boot into MacOS.  But of course, you can
set things up to automatically run the NetBSD Booter utility at startup
so you can (almost) immediately leave MacOS to get to NetBSD.

> 	3. Really Stupid Question! : Will I be able to use normal Mac
> programs (Microsoft Word, for example) while I am booted in NetBSD?

Nope.

> 	4. I regularly do work on a Mainframe machine.  Will I be able to
> tn3270 from NetBSD?

Yup.

> 	Thanks a lot for your time and answering my completely off the
> wall questions.  I salute the effort being put into this project and hope
> I can be of some assistance sometime in the future.  I'm sure you'll hear
> a lot from me during the install, but in the meantime, I look forward to
> getting your reply.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |