Subject: Re: ethernet-to-localtalk (slightly off-topic)
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1998 16:21:39
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> >That is incorrect.  Localtalk does support TCP/IP traffic.

No, it is correct. The Localtalk specification only supports DDP (Datagram
Delivery Protocol) packets on a localtalk net.

> Indeed, that's what I thought too, since OpenTransport related control panel
> TCP/IP offers AppleTalk (MacIP)/Ethernet/PPP as choices. Same on the GS when
                           ^^^^^
> the nbew "Marinetti" will be released (soon) . . .

MacIP is a protocol for encapsulating IP packets in a DDP packet. You
still need a MacIP server to unwrap them. Ben (the author of "That is
incorrect" above) mentioned that the LocalTalk net is hooked to a
GatorBox. GatorBoxes act as MacIP servers, so the unwrapping is automatic.

Someone has ported the FreeBSD MacIP and MacIP server tools to NetBSD (and
sent me diffs which are somewhere in my mailbox), so you can make
everything work w/ just a LocalTalk to Ethertalk converter.

Take care,

Bill