Subject: Re: startx
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael Bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1998 18:18:34
>Michael Bartosh wrote:
>>

>> Having trouble with startx- I've changed ld.so.conf (to have
>> /usr/X11R6/lib) and added /usr/X11R6/bin to the path part of /.cshrc  .
>> Even rebooted (didn't think I had to. When I startx, it says comand not
>> found.
>>
>> I'm fairly new to this, or at least haven't been into it too deeply, so if
>> there's a url somewhere that deals with this (aside from the howto...
>> unless I'm missing something there) feel free to just send me there.
>
>several things to look at:
>
>1) does it say "startx: command not found"  or something else?

Yes, "startx: command not found"

>2) does /usr/X11R6/bin/ contain "startx", "xinit", "X", and "Xmac68k"?

Ahh... No "X" or "Xmac68k". The others are there. This is odd, all I did
was install the packages through the MacOS installer. Incidentally, when I
change xfs and xdm to yes in rc.conf, x starts with its login panel.
However I cannot log in. Also, the reboot comand only works under
single-user (otherwise I'm still rooting around, not to the point I need
another login yet).

>3) does "echo $path" show /usr/X11R6/bin in your path

No- which is odd since it's in /.cshrc correctly. What's weird is that
_only_ /bin and /usr/bin _do_ show up, when much more than that is listed
in .cshrc.

>4) can you do a "cd /usr/X11R6/bin; ./startx", and does that work?

Nope- says "xinit:not found" Which makse sense I think since /usr/X11R6/bin
supposedly isn't in my path.

>pls let me know if the above doesn't help.
>
>later.

Am I way off? I think I'm going to hold off, reformat and install with
1.3.2 (everything I have right now is new anyway, I took the packages off
of my MacOS hard drive, where they've been hiding since I tried this with
my IIci. (these worked, though, with it)

Any ideas, though, are welcome.

-mab

It's Coming! http://apple.tamu.edu !

*******
Michael Bartosh
bartosh@tamu.edu
409/847.4397
Apple Student Rep
HiEd, Inc.
www.hied.com

Customer: "I'm running Windows '95."
Tech Support: "Yes."
Customer: "My computer isn't working now."
Tech Support: "Yes, you said that."