Subject: -current problems (was Re: X is now up and snapshot problems)
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1998 13:45:27
>I'm using a Quadra 650 w/ 20MB RAM and an Apple 16" RGB monitor.
>
>at ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/  I've got the
>snapshot in the "19980808" dir, carefully installed and configured as I can
>do and booting in multi user mode my box always crashes:
>
>	(copied by hand)
>
>	NetBSD 1.3G (GENERIC) #80...
>	buiding databases...
>	clearing/tmp
>	trap type 0, code = 0x85, v = 0x1410000
>	kernel program counter = 0x13bc08
>	kernel: Bus error trap
>	pid = 149, pc = 0013BC08, ps = 2004, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
>	Registers:
>	...some numbers...
>	Kernel stack (00771AC4):
>	...some numbers...
>	panic: Bus error
>	Stopped at	_Debugger+0x6:	unlk	a6
>	db>

<rant>

Oh, you too? I get these all the time on my P637. This is pretty typical of
my experience with -current since UVM made it into the tree, and it's why I
generally run 1.3.1. Someone fix this, please?

BTW: This started when UVM was enabled, and the old-VM kernels generally
don't exhibit this problem. There is/was a separate problem with MRG,
causing a much earlier startup crash before the disk is even accessed, but
since MRG is kinda deprecated now I guess that doesn't matter. The only UVM
kernel to work flawlessly on my Mac (except for the LC040 FPU bug, but that
seems to be a separate issue) is GENERIC #70 (1.3E-current). Anyone have
any idea what was done differently in that build?

</rant>

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address without
- my permission will be held liable for forgery and subject to legal action.