Subject: PowerBooks (Re: new IDETEST kernels available)
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1998 09:15:12
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:25:25 -0700 (PDT), Colin Wood wrote:

> Actually, if anyone has a PB190, I'd love if you could test it out with
> Ken's kernels.

I wrote wdc_obio.c in such a way that PB190 would be recognized as an
IDE Mac when its Gestalt ID was added to cpu.h.  But right now, cpu.h
doesn't list PB190's Gestalt ID, hence "PB190 is apparently not
supported".  There are other pieces missing.  I'd love to hear from
someone with PB190 so that we could fill the missing pieces.

> According to reports from some people, many of the
> PowerBooks may be working now (I'm fairly sure the 500-series are, and

Very recent current kernels (like my IDETESTs) have trouble booting on
my loaner PB520.  It just doesn't go beyond this message:

System RAM: 12582912 bytes in 3072 pages.
     Low = 0x0, high = 0xc00000
Checking for Internal Video   PB/IIvx (0x60?00000) internal video at \
addr 0x60000000 (phys 0x0), len 0x8000.

And it freezes tight.

Hmm...

Ken