Subject: Re: Linux-mac68k on a Quadra 700: SCSI Support? (fwd)
To: Charlie & <root@longbeachapts.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1998 09:50:12
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Charlie & wrote:

>From root@longbeachapts.com Tue Aug 18 09:42:38 1998
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Charlie & <root@longbeachapts.com>
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org

    [ Part 1: "Included Message" ]

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:24:22 -0400
From: jfane <jeff@seductive.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: Re: Linux-mac68k on a Quadra 700: SCSI Support?

I installed NetBSD on my Quadra 700, but after installing, have been able to
get nothign else running (no documentation!)

I would like to get ethernet and X for starters.. :) and eventually a web
browser, apache, and perl..

what's the best distribution to use for this machine?

The *BSD world doesn't have seperate distributions like the Linux world
does. NetBSD is a whole distribution.

I'd suggest you run NetBSD 1.3.2, the latest stable release. You can find
it at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/ . You can also order a
two CD set from www.netbsd.com. The set is $30, and shipping is either $5
or $10.

There is a FAQ on the web site, www.netbsd.org.

Ethernet and SCSI are working on that machine. Color X is a work in
progres, but grayscale works fine. The problem is we can't change the
color palette once booted. Oh, I think 16-bit color works fine.

Take care,

Bill