Subject: Re: Linux-mac68k on a Quadra 700: SCSI Support? (fwd)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Charlie & <root@longbeachapts.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 18:09:47
From: "jfane" <jeff@seductive.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: Re: Linux-mac68k on a Quadra 700: SCSI Support?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:24:22 -0400

I installed NetBSD on my Quadra 700, but after installing, have been able to
get nothign else running (no documentation!)

I would like to get ethernet and X for starters.. :) and eventually a web
browser, apache, and perl..

what's the best distribution to use for this machine?

thanks
ciao
jeff

Charlie & wrote in message <6qvq2k$hns@hatathli.csulb.edu>...
>Hi!
>I searched comp.os.linux.m68k for Quadra 700 info, but found none for the
macintosh hardware, specifically the scsi support on the old Quadra 700.

>I'm interested in running linux on my Quadra 700. I've tried to boot a
linux native filesystem on an attached scsi drive, but get "no drives found"
errors in the Debian installer, mounting root=/dev/ram in the booter. When I
use the
>other two kernels with root=/dev/sdb4 (my location of Linux partion with
the old watchtower filesystem installed with MacLinux Installer) the booter
tries about 4 times and then gives up hanging the screen with scsi time out
errors. From the articles submitted it appears that the scsi chip, ncr53c96,
is not yet supported. Is that still the case?.

>Here's all the files I've tried thus far:
> Files: They do what?:
>
> Debian_68k_Mac_HFS.img #No sure what this is.
> drv1440.bin #For the floppy, IIRC.
> filesys-ELF-2.0.x-1400k-2.gz #Seems to be a test filesystem
> since all changes are lost on reboot.
> and since it stays on the macOS side.
> macroot.bin #Replaced by root2_0.bin  ?
> resc1440-mac.bin #Boot image for floppy; requires rawrite
> to fit on 3.5 floppy
>
> resc1440.bin #Needed by the Debian installer?
> root2_0.bin-98-01-01 #new filesystem for linux-mac68k
> vmlinux-2.0.33pl1-980518.gz #Boots fine root=/dev/ram only?
> vmlinux-2.1.105-980728.gz #Chokes on Debian installer and scsi
> chain.
>
>I haven't tried vmlinux-2.1.105-980809-test.gz from the new website:
>ftp://baltimore.wwaves.com/pub/MacLinux/vmlinux-2.1.105-980809-test.gz. But
will try soon.

>Besides the kernel 'vmlinux...' is the base distribution called
root2_0.bin? Or are the names distribution files differently nameed  from
each of the linux group ports to the mac68k?

>It appears that http://baltimore.wwaves.com is a new server location for
linux-mac68k? The Apache software on that Red Hat Linux server hasn't yet
been
>configured. IIRC the owner is working on getting Majordomo up and running.
>
>BTW, I've looked recently at the Debian home site, where I got some mac
files for the debian installation under the hamm tree, but now all of those
mac files are gone, and only the atari and amiga boot stuff remains. Was
there some talk of moving mac files somewhere else? Where would they be?

>Is there a kernel for the mac which will boot the old watchtower
filesystem?
>Or should I install root2_0.bin to my scsi disk on the scsi chain using the
MacLinux Installer?
>Or try the Debian Installer again?
>I'm just looking to boot into a read/write native linux file system on an
attached scsi disk drive. Is that possible now for the Quadras (68040 cpu:
'mac68k', or 'm68k').

>In the meanwhile I've had the needed help to get Linux EXT2 file system
partitions recognised in my NetBSD-1.3.2 port-mac68k box (The same Quadra
700). At least now I can move Linux stuff around on Linux-native partitions.
If anyboby wants it, here's a Q700 68040 NetBSD-1.3.2 kernel with ext2 &
msdos support: