Subject: Re: Anti-spam legislation in WA (off-topic but of interest)
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 11:21:22
At 10:59 PM -0700 8/15/98, SamMaEl wrote:
>of this decision, but the Washington State Legislature has passed a bill
>against unsolicited commercial bulk-email. And, it HAS been signed
>into law, effective 90 days from March 27th, 1998 (ie. NOW). Take a look

As reported in TIDBITS it's written to apply if just the target is in
Washington state.  They have a test case which is pending.  I suspect it's
only enforcable if both sender and receiver are in Washington.  (That's my
legal opinion, but I'm not a lawyer.)  The FCC would seem to have
jurisdiction over inter-state messages, I think.  From outside the US. . .

I agree the law seems reasonable.  Similar to the law which put a stop to
unsolicited FAX's.