Subject: Re: "Can't set locale" ?
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
From: kaz-k) <kazk@yyy.or.jp (Kazuyoshi Kato>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1998 05:12:51
> "Naoki Kobayashi" <tsu23715@mail.interq.or.jp>  wrote:
>
> >> I did that for my own use, but now I'm using Stock X
> >> distribution and Ken Nakata's OSFA server.  So my kterm
> >> warns similarly in starting up.
>
> Naoki>   10minutes ago I happened to find the memo that I've
> Naoki> written down in the ~/.cshrc
>
> Naoki>  setenv LANG ja_JP.EUC
>
> Naoki> So I soon removed this line and restarted
> Naoki> netbsd.........  and startx >& error.log.......  No
> Naoki> more annoying messages there!!!
>
> Oh, It's nice.
>
> Naoki> And in the Xterm wind I did kterm >& error.log Those
> Naoki> error.log like ja_JP.EUC........ja, japan are
> Naoki> harmless I've ever heard.
>
> Naoki>  The problem is that even in the Kterm wind,I can't
> Naoki> read jman!!!  Letters are all into inscrutable fonts
> Naoki> (in japanese : MOJIBAKE).
>
> Naoki>   Which settings do I forget?
>

> I donno about jman, but I assume it includes jless or less
> w/ iso-2022 patch (I use the latter).  If so, all you need
> is set the environment variables PAGER to
> /full/path/to/jless and JLESSCHARSET to japanese.
>
> But, jman probably checks LANG...  Where did you get it?
>
> #

  No, you have to recompile Japanese extention patched groff package as
well as man(need -Tnippon option).
  I ported man command got from FreeBSD and jgroff-1.10 on 1.3.2 and
I've been "happily" using them.
  if you need them, will send you via e-mail(We need localized package
server, don't we!?).

> I don't use jman, but am happy with 10/12/14/16/24 dots
> Kanji font.  It need to modify kterm's app-defaults file,
> though.

  Or .Xdefault or .Xresources and xrdb -merge.

  -- kaz-k