Subject: Re: compile kernel and apps, what's up?
To: None <bwildasiX@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1998 11:03:07
> ext2 support in the /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC so I checked in
> /usr/src/sys/ufs/ext2fs for EXT2FS and found something close to that, and so
> just added that to the conf file i made to get a 68040 optimised kernel that can
> see linux partitions. It seemed to work--well, the compiling of ext2fs code
> anyway, not a netbsd kernel (gcc bails out at ver.c)--since it showed up as gcc
> compiler lines compiling those ../ufs/ext2fs/*.c files. I did recheck my notes,
> which say that ext2fs should have been turned on in the GENERIC kernel for
> netbsd-1.3.2. This wasn't the case for me, though i did ftp the
> ftp;//ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/source/sets/syssrc.tgz file.
> There appears to be a note in the INSTALL.txt file that hangs around the
> netbsd-1.3.2 upgrade binaries. Something to the effect that a kernel cannot get
> recompiled unless _all_ the source code is installed. Although others including
> the unofficial NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD faq mentions that jsut a few programs wil
> l have to get recompiled to work again (like ps). My notes say that all i need
> for a mac68k kernel recompile is an up-to-date /usr.sbin/config program.

Could you please break your paragraphs up? It's really hard to reply to ones
like this. If you've upgraded from 1.3 to 1.3.2, I don't think you should
need a new config. The types of changes which would need a new config
generally won't be incorperated in a minor number release. In fact, I don't
think the kernel interface should get changed enough for you to need
to recompile ps & friends, though I could be wrong.

> Trying to kill two birds with one kernel compile... I know I'm close since the
> gcc compiler is at -o netbsd ...vers.o. I got the /usr/src/sys/include files to
> see if they weren't upgraded along with my netbsd-1.3.2 grade last month. Maybe
> that's why a new kernel compile hasn't completed yet. Here's my session thus
> far. The script was only run after gcc bailed out, so there's not a zillion
> lines.
> http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/kernel-typescript
> http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/Q700-conf
> http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/Q700-compile-Makefile

I'm not sure what the problem you're having is, but the errors you
are getting are at the link stage. All your source is from 1.3.2, isn't it?

> Basically I've done
>
> 'make depend && make && make install' in /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/
> 'cp GENERIC Q700' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/
> 'config Q700' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/
> 'make includes' in /usr/src/sys/arch/
> 'make depend && make' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/

That should do it, assuming you meant compile/Q700 as Ken noted.

> ps, say is there any takers on why include files aren't being recognised by
> gcc?

What exactly was the error?

Take care,

Bill