Subject: Re: Color X on Quadra 650
To: , NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1998 20:05:11
>That's okay. Just having my box run any colors is a humongous improvemnet
>over the b&w mode. I was having withdrawls like when I was stuck with a
>black and white tv...sorry folks, I missed the monochrome revolution when I
>bought my one and only computer in 1993: this Q700, which went from 256k to
>"millions" when I up-ed the ram to 20 megs.

I've been working on internal video drivers for some time and I'm getting
close to having full video support (including stuff like resolution swtiching
and other stuff) but I was held up by grad school work and moving to a new
location. Now that I've moved away from school, which had a whole bunch of
Centrises for me to test on, I have to rub together enough pennies to buy
some old Quadras. :)

In the mean time I've been documenting the hardware notes I've put together
into something a little more human readable than hundreds of little Post-It
notes that say things like "vbporch=108". What I've realized is that while
I still need to fiddle around with alot of Quadra hardware and figure out
the AV's, I currently have enough information about loading DACs in 8 bit mode
to allow folks to boot in 8 bit mode and do 256 color internal video on most
of the machines. It also allows me to add reasonable functionality without
having to do testing that could potentially fry people's monitors.

So I've been thinking of hacking together something quick, rather than
complete,
for our grf driver that will let folks with internal video do 8 bit X in color.
I can put out a more complete set of drivers later when I have some Quadras
to play with.

So does everybody want color now or do they want to wait? :)

BTW, we should really fix the X server to do 24 bit color too :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill