Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1998 21:28:49
> This is what happened, Bill, at the experiment :
> (I can recall this in detail because I took a note of it).
>
> 0) Before I really started the experiment, tty00 had the following setting
> and was ON at 9600 baud (I could see it by "ps" command).
>
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  unknown on secure
>
> 1) First I changed the setting to the following, to meet the setting on the
> other Mac's termianl software:
>
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure
>
> and I did "kill -HUP 1" but nothing happend. I mean, "ps -ax" command
> showed that tty00 was still on at 9600 baud instead of 57600. I tried "kill
> -HUP 1" several times but in vain.

Probably as kill -HUP 1 (or /bin/kill -s HUP 1) tells init to turn on and
off getty's as needed. It won't kill & restart getty's if the settings
change. Though you can just kill the getty and achieve the same effect.

> 2) I rebooted NetBSD and verified that getty had restarted at 57600 anyway.
> But this did not bring anything about the connection to the terminal
> windown of the other Mac (iici/MacOS).
>
> 3) I rememberd about adding "local" option so I changed the setting to :
>
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure local
>
> then I went straight to reboot NetBSD without knowing there is a command
> like "stty" to view the options :-).
>
> After the reboot I discovered a mentioning of "stty" command in Bob
> Nestor's suggestions and I tried it and could see the flag was now
> "clocal", not "-clocal". (So I can't tell what it was before).
>
> But this time too, nothing happed on the other Mac's terminal. No
> characters echoed on the other mac's terminal.

I'm not sure what's wrong. It really should be working...

Are you doing anything with the serial ports under MacOS before booting?

Take care,

Bill