Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/04/1998 23:36:27
At 12:28 PM 97.08.03, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Since you're not using a cable which activly drives DCD, we can't make any
> assertion. When you're using a cable which doesn't set the pin to a
> definite voltage, the input driver can do whatever it wants.
>
> It could be that the printer port lacks DCD. But we have to apply a signal
> which gets ignored to prove it. :-)
>
> I thought you said that modems worked fine on the printer port. That'd
> indicate that DCD worked there, I believe.
>
> > > Try "local" as an option in /etc/ttys and see what happens. Also, to check
> > > the pin, try a real modem on the port w/ a MacOS PPP or SLIP.
> >
> > Tell me how to set "local" option in /etc/ttys, please?
>
> man ttys will have lots of details, but just add " local" to the end of
> the tty00 or tty01 line. Then either run ttyflags or reboot (which will
> automaticly run ttyflags).
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Thank you for your response, Bill.

Bob Nestor has given me the same suggestion to add "local" option and it WORKED!

I set it exactly to :

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure local

That addition of "local" option changed everything all of sudden and I
could see the stream from ClassicII/NetBSD flood into a MacOS terminal
window on IIci. I was then able to log into the NetBSD system. At last!

But let me also report that the success was only on the printer port.  When
I tried the same thing on the modem port of ClassicII - with the same cable
and the same setting on tty00 - then again, nothing happened.

So doesn't this match what Andred Foakes first said at the begining of this
thread?

(just for reviewing :-))

At 8:02 PM 98.07.28, Andrew Foakes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> An update on NetBSD version 1.3.2 on my Classic II with apologies for
> those who are bored silly by this.
>
> I've managed to get a ppp link between my Classic II and another Mac
> running OT/PPP, with a few error messages and generally slow connection
> (it's time to play with a few of those ppp options).  As I'm not dialling
> out, I've put pppd in /etc/ttys for tty01 rather than getty.  But, I've
> had to do this with tty01 as tty00 never responds.  It doesn't even let
> me put a terminal on it under getty, which tty01 does.  Does this mean I
> have a piece of dead hardware or is there some other process that sets up
> the modem port in a strange way that is stopping either getty or pppd
> from working properly?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andrew

Takashi Ikemi