Subject: Re: Reading DOS formatted ZIP drive
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Franz Urbanski <fou@ON-Luebeck.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1998 19:57:32
On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 03:49:55PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> mount_msdos should certainly be usable on NetBSD/mac68k. The problem is
> not with the filesystem code, but with the disklabeling. Disklabeling
> in NetBSD is a bit restrictive at the moment. Each port only supports
> the disklabels it knows about - they don't share. So there's no way
> to easily share multiple label formats.
>
> If you get fancy, you can get manually write a MacOS partition table on
> the Zip drive which'd live with MBR table already there. I can give you
> ideas about it if you're interested. Basicly you'd need to make MacOS
> partitions which occupied the exact same area as the MBR partition(s).
>
> If the disk only has one partition (likely), then it's not too bad. You'll
> just need sector #2 to be unused, and to write a fake MacOS partition table
> into the bottom of sectors #1 & #2.

Wow, that's a good idea.

The only thing I need, is a low level SCSI-Editor (like SEDIT for MacOS,
which I have) and the correct input for the MBR and the PM entries.

If you could give me the structure of these tables, I'd like to try it.

BTW my first try without knowing the exact structure was:

 Get 2 PM entries of a NetBSD formatted disk
 Copy them to sector #1 and #2 of the MSDOS disk
 Modify the block numbers of the PM
 Copy the beginning of sector #0 of the NetBSD disk ("ER" 0x02000003 )
 to sector #0 of the DOS disk.

Result: disklabel and mount_msdos did no longer complain about "missing
disklabel", but the mount told me, "wrong parameter".

cu

Franz