Subject: Re: Booting read-only?
To: None <jope@n2h2.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1998 19:03:54
> After shuffling around my partitions (so NetBSD root came before Linux
> root) and finally giving the Installer enough memory that it didn't crash
> while installing base.tgz (needed 40 megs; odd, considering I somehow
> got by successfully with much less once before... *shrug*) I finally got
> NetBSD to boot into single-user mode, with one small glitch: the file
> system is mounted read-only rather than read-write.  I also get something
> about "proc size mismatch" (I think that was it) under ps.  Otherwise,
> everything looks fine.  Ideas why it's read-only?

It's supposed to mount root r/o when yo're in single-user mode. Single-user
is mainly designed so you can come in and fsck all the partitions. To do
that to the root partition, you either need to reboot after fsck'ing (if
it's mounted r/o), or you need to mount the partition r/o. Then you can
fsck it w/o problem.

> Just the facts, ma'am...
> Quadra 605 w/ full '040, 36M RAM
> 4GB SCSI internal (Quantum Fireball)
> no ethernet, cards or peripherals
> netbsd-GENERICSBC-1.3.2
>
> All the #76 kernels kept trying to mount the root partition as ext2fs
> rather than ffs, even after using Mkfs to change to Apple_Free all the
> other A/UX partitions (both those earmarked for NetBSD and for Linux)
> just in case it was trying to mount the wrong partition.  (I realize
> those are a few weeks old and now probably not the most recent kernels,
> so I'll check for something newer)  Thanks...
> -jope

I think at one point my kernels tried to mount the root partition as
ext2fs on my i386 (which has no Linux in it). It figured out the
partition wasn't ext2fs, and then tried ffs w/o incident. I think it's
an alphabetization thing.

Take care,

Bill