Subject: HP 425MB: "Magic Number Wrong"
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1998 23:48:10
I recently received a factory refurbished HP 425MB drive (model number
C2235 if anyone cared). I connected it, made a NetBSD usr partition, and
ran Mkfs with no errors whatsoever.

I booted into NetBSD, and attempted to fsck the drive. It reported a
SCSIRead error #5, and mentioned the "MAGIC NUMBER" was "WRONG". I
thought maybe Mkfs made an error, and attempted to run it again on the
partition. This time, Mkfs *did* give an error: A SCSI read error #5 to
be precise.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the drive, so I ran Norton Disk
Doctor on it. Eight and a half hours later, Disk Doctor was *still*
checking for bad blocks. The funny thing is, it had gotten absolutely
*nowhere*. The progress bar was barely an inch long!

In case it means anything, the drive mounts fine under the Mac OS.

I'm running NetBSD 1.3.1 release, with SBC kernel #0 from that release...

Thank you for your time :)

--josh