Subject: BSD --> Laser Printer?
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1998 22:54:03
Question regarding printer setup:

I have a laserprinter (an old Gcc -- Postscript, uses appletalk) that I've
been trying to set up to work with NetBSD, and I've hit a stumbling block
creating a printcap entry.

What device should lp be assigned to?  (Man pages list /dev/lp as the
'default line printer driver' but that file doesn't seem to exist.)  I took
a guess at /dev/tty01 (printer port), set up a spool directory...

Using lpd <filename.txt>, the job is spooled...shows up from lpq, migrates
to /var/spool/output/blp (my spool directory)...but the printer never
blinks.  Eventually, lpq will indicate that the job has transpired.

The only printing-related entries I've found in the FAQ have to do with
printing from a Stylewriter/Deskwriter.  In the archives of this list I
found some info on printing to a remote/networked laser printer, but not
really much dealing with local printing.

Which /dev file then?  Anyone with a laserwriter mind posting an
/etc/printcap entry?

Oh yeah, it's a Q605 w/FPU and a generic 1.3 kernel.

Thanks.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu