Subject: Re: How do I install onto multiple drives?
To: NetBSD digest <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1998 10:24:46
sclark writes:

> When I tried to install onto a 500MB drive, I ran out
> of space. I would like to install the Root and Swap
> on one drive, while the Usr is on another drive.

[...]

> I followed these instructions:
> 1. Build Devices
> 2. Minishell
> 3. mkdir /usr
> 4. mount /dev/sd1g /usr
> 5. fstab force
> 6. /* I've tried to install before quiting and after */
>    quit

> Here is the problem that I now face. When the installer
> gets to the /usr directory the light on drive (root/swap)
> scsi ID2 still remains active and scsi ID1(usr) never
> recieves any information, its light never comes on.
> I then run out of space on my 230MB (root/swap) drive
> because it creates a /usr directory on the 230MB disk.
> How do I get it to install /usr onto the 500MB disk.

I'm assuming you *have* formatted the sd1g drive with mkfs...
your disklabel output indicates that you did.  What version
of Installer are you using?

Try typing mount (with no parameters) before running
fstab force -- this should show you whether the minishell
actually mounted the /usr partition or not.  If it seems
to be mounted properly, go ahead with the fstab force
command then try mount again.

Alternately, you could just install base and etc & try
installing the rest of the tarballs from NetBSD itself.
You may have to copy tar (and maybe gzip) into the root
partition to make this work.  I keep a copy of tar &
some other essentials on my root drive ever since my
/usr partition barfed one day.

	Larry (kollar@stc.net)