Subject: Re: NetBSD installed.. What next?
To: James D. Skee <spwalker@gte.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1998 09:59:39
James D. Skee wrote:
At 8:06 AM -0700 7/29/98, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>From single-user mode, "mount -a ; su -l" sets up root's full login
>environment, with a sane PATH, TERM & TERMCAP. Then vi will work. In
fact,
>you'll hardly notice that you're in single-user mode unless you try to
>do something that requires the network to be up.

<Give myself a big smack in the face>
THANK YOU!!!! Now I can kill BBEdit Lite from my MacPartition 8-).

This should be added to the INSTALL doc. The way that it states it, all
you
have to do is 'mount /usr'.

Actually, it says the following:

When you first boot into NetBSD, it will
automatically drop you into single-user mode with the root filesystem
mounted read-write.  The system will ask you to choose a shell.  Simply  hit
return to get to a prompt.  If you are asked for a terminal type, respond
with 'vt220' and hit return.  At this point, you need to configure at least
one file in the /etc directory.  Change to the /etc directory and take a
look at the /etc/rc.conf file.  Modify it to your tastes, making sure that
you set "rc_configured=YES" so that your changes will be enabled and a
multi-user boot can proceed.  If your /usr directory is on a separate
partition and you do not know how to use 'ed' or 'ex', you will have to
mount your /usr partition to gain access to 'vi'.  Do the following:

mount /usr
export TERM=vt220

You can then edit /etc/rc.conf with 'vi'.  When you have finished, type
'exit' at the prompt to leave the single-user shell and continue with the
multi-user boot.

If you follow the instructions exactly, the above will work just fine.
Please note that mounting /usr and setting TERM should only be necessary
if your /usr directory is located on some partition other than your root
partition.

I hope this helps.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation