Subject: Re: NetBSD installed.. What next?
To: NetBSD mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James D. Skee <spwalker@gte.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1998 00:46:47

>My first question is: should I see NetBSD disk mounted under Mac OS?

No. The MacOS is not able to mount or use UNIX partitions. You can,
however, use a set of tools called hfstools to copy files to/from Mac
partitions within NetBSD. Ive never used them myself, but more info should
be in the FAQ.

>Second: NetBSD is just fresh installed and I just wrote a path in
>.profile and
>this: "export TERM=vt220 PATH". What ELSE should I write in .profile (in
>/etc)
>and other /etc cofs? (in WHICH files should I write WHAT?)

The .profile, .login, .cshrc and other files as they are configured in the
home directory for root (/root) are more or less complete. For /etc, at
least look at  /etc/rc.conf and edit it as the INSTALL doc directs. Check
out the FAQ for more info on other files in /etc that should be edited.

>Also I have downloaded all the X files and soppose they must be manually
>
>configured prior to X will start too (actually for the moment startx
>doesn't work
>despite I wrote ALL the paths needed!)

Since you are booted in Single User, X probably won't work properly. You
need to go multi-user.

>Also when I just boot NetBSD and then press CMD-D to get into Multi-User
>mode
>(thou my computer is not in network I want to use fully X-Windows) it
>does NOT
>bring me to Login line.. It just AS USUAL can't process some files
>(rc??) and
>offers me shell (sh).

Since I do not know how to use ex or ed, and vi isnt usable in single-user
mode, I ended up using BBEdit Lite to edit the rc.conf file after using the
Installer (in MacOS) to "cpout" the rc.conf file, then edit it, and "cpin".
Specifically, in Installer -

Select "Mini Shell" from File menu
cd /etc
cpout rc.conf rc.conf

Then edit and save changes to the rc.conf file that appears in the same
directory as the Installer. Do not use SimpleText, as you need to be able
to save the file using Unix EOF characters. BBEdit is one editor that does
this. You at least need to change the rc_configured line to YES.

back in the Installer,
"Mini Shell" again (if you didnt quit the Installer),
cd /etc
cpin rc.conf rc.conf
sync
quit

Now try booting NetBSD. Make sure that Single User is UNchecked in NetBSD
Booter for Booting prefs.

- --
James D. Skee - spwalker@gte.net
PGP Public Key available upon request