Subject: Re: Help Can't Boot on Pef 476 (68040)
To: None <sclark@htfm.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1998 16:57:51
On Mon, 27 Jul 98 22:04:27 -0000, sclark wrote:

> 1. How do I get Xwindows to run on NetBDS?
>      Does terminal need to be set to Xterm?
>      Do I need another .src file?
>      If so, where can I get it?

Read the FAQ at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/ or
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/ (these are from top of my
head, so please correct me if I'm giving out wrong URLs).  It has a
whole chapter dedicated to using and setting up X on NetBSD/mac68k.

> 2. Where can I find Perl for NetBSD, or am I just not
>      finding it on my relese 1.3.2.

You can get the pkg'ed perl.  Get the file at:

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.3.1/m68k/All/perl-5.00404.tgz

and install it with pkg_add command.

> 3. How do you go about shuting down NetBSD?
>      I've used 'shutdown now' and it starts the process
>      but it tries to start up again.
>      Do I Just turn off the power or is there another approach
>      to turning off the computer.

If you want to turn it off, you can say "shutdown -h now".  If your
                                                  ^^
Mac is soft-powered, it will shut itself down.  If not, you'll be
prompted with a message saying "you can safely turn the power off now"
to the effect.  Follow the message.

> 4. There is a band of the MasOS8 screen behind the NetBSD terminal.
>      My monitor is set to 832X624 at thousands of colors
>      and NetBSD terminal is vt220. How do I fix this?

Never mind.  That thin strip is the area console isn't using.  This
area is used by the X server.

Ken