Subject: Re: silo and packets: overflowing too-bigness
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1998 20:31:00
On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 10:02 PM, Brian Wildasinn <mailto:bwildasi@csulb.edu>
wrote:
> Hi!
> Just discovered GNUStep and the rest of the mail/news apps in the
packages
> collection--great stuff! I'm glad that NetBSD has adopted a collection
> handling
> system comparible to FreeBSD's ports. This has proved quite a time saver
> having
> the dependency apps linked in and whatnot.
>
> Could someone take a crack at my connection errors and give me some
pointers
> on where or how to solve these? It looks like three specific boogaloos
are
> affecting my line of communication to the server I'm attached to thru
pppd.
> Here's the errors:
>
>         http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/messages/
>
>         In condensed form here they are:
>
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bad protocol 820
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bad fcs e262
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bsd fcs 26f0
>         /netbsd: zstty0: 3 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods

I think I can help you with the silo overflows.
First your /etc/ttys entry for tty00 works?
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty d57600"     dialup rtscts

does ps -aux show getty running on tty00 ?
Maybe
tty00   none                            network off secure
would be better for testing?

To get hardware flow control going the modem must be configured
 to do software hangup and ignore DTR being dropped.
Your MODEM string is close.
AT &F E1 V1 Q0 &A3 &B1 &H1 &R2 &D0 &C1 X4 S0=0 S7=90
Change E1 to E0 (never echo the AT commands back.)
And add    Y1 &S1

My MODEM string is:
AT &F H0 M0 E0 W1 Y1 &S1 &D0 &C1
&F Load factory profile
( E1  L1  M1  N1  Q0  V1  W0  X4  Y0 &C1 &D2 &G0 &K3 &P0
 &Q5 &S0 &T5 &Y0 %C3 %E2 \A1 \G0 \N3 )

H0  Force modem on hook.
M0  Speeker off.
E0  Echo off.
W1  Report DCE, DTC, connection protocol.
Y1  Enable long space disconect.
&S1 DSR active after answer tone detected, inactive after carrier loss.
&D0 DTR assumed on. Allows opperation with DTEs that do not provide DTR
signal.
&C1 RLSD (DCD) fallows remote carrier.

In your /etc/ppp/options file add:
tty00 57600                     # modem port and speed
lock                            # lock the modem port on connect
modem                           # use full modem control
#crtscts                        # use hardware flow control
cdtrcts                         # use alternate hardware flow control
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
novj

My /etc/ppp/options
Looks like:

tty00 57600                     # modem port and speed
disconnect /etc/ppp/ppp-down
lock                            # lock the modem port on connect
modem                           # use full modem control
passive                         # wait for remote to come up
#crtscts                        # use hardware flow control
cdtrcts
bsdcomp 9,15
deflate 9,15
vj-max-slots 16
defaultroute                    # add default routing when link comes up
noipdefault                     # no local defaults for IP addresses
ipcp-accept-local               # allow remote to specify our IP address
ipcp-accept-remote              # allow remote to specify his IP address
lcp-echo-interval 30            # ping the remote every 30 seconds
lcp-echo-failure 10             # declare link down after 10 pings fail
netmask 255.255.255.0           # netmask for our assigned IP address
domain <myISPdomain name>       # domain name we're connecting into
user <myISPusername>            # account name to use to log onto remote

Then add the line:
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
to your /etc/netstart.local

Thats about it.
BA-

> These errors occur no matter what type of connection I make, like ftp
knews
> lynx or others that travel thru the phone line. I gave up on Mozilla,
Arena,
> and some other WWW browsers due to these errors.
>
> The fcs and silo come in a variety of what appears to be location errors,

> while the protocol 820 remains the same bad boy all the time. The link
above
> is the /var/log/messages from some recent boots. My machine hardware and
> software is at the top along with the ppp connections.
>
> Any help will no doubt shed lots of light on this reoccuring problem that
> has been on this system since NetBSD-1.2D. All my ppp scripts tht i use
now
> are
> available at : http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/ppp.tar.gz  BTW
> is there a way to have system generated errors sent to an xconsole or
xterm
> instead of having the bottom of the terminal screen constantly scroll
> upwards and making the window xterms unreadable. So many "restarts" from
twm
> are necessary that twm bails out often leaving me to save a sesseion by
> manually setting the setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/X11R6/lib just to
stitch on
> another window manager to save the session. This is very much like
typeing by
> memory in the dark or with your eyes closed when top windows are not
> accessable.
>
> Bye!
> Brian
> bwildasi@csulb.edu
> http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/

> E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
> Date: 25-Jul-98
> Time: 19:14:17
>
> This message was sent by XFMail

This message was created and sent using the Cyberdog Mail System