Subject: Re: emacs trouble
To: Chris <ferret@atlantis.nconnect.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1998 13:01:40
Chris wrote:
> Ken Nakata kenn@synap.ne.jp 7/26/98 2:33 AM said:
> >Ouch.  I'm assuming you are trying to install Emacs binary pkg for
> >m68k.  You don't use Installer to install binary pkges.  You should
> >copy the downloaded .tgz file into NetBSD partition if it's not
> >already there, boot NetBSD and use pkg_add command; i.e.:
> >
> >pkg_add -v emacs20.2.tgz
>  oops, you're right. I guess I took the installer file too literally when
> it said:
> <snip>
> Installation of base files:
>
> 	Select the "Install" menu item from the "File" menu and install
> 	base.tgz, etc.tgz, netbsd.tgz, and any other sets you wish to
> 	install	at this time
> <snip>
>
>      are all the files in the base folder installable w/the installer, or
> do I have
> to say for example, install the X files from w/in bsd even tho' they were
> listed as
> part of the distribution sets?

All of the binary distribution sets are installable by the Installer.  All
of the prebuilt pkg binaries need to be pkg-add'd.  Source sets usually
need to be installed by hand.

>      I downloaded the 'NetBSD/mac68k Frequently Asked Questions' as a
> web-archive
> for frequent consultation but I can't seem to find  anything on how to
> copy stuff
> from the Mac OS partition to the bsd partion w/out using the installer.
> Where do
> I get this info?

Somewhere in there, it should mention the hfsutils.  This set of utilities
can be used to copy stuff from a MacOS partition into a NetBSD partition.
There might be an hfsutils package, also.

I hope this helps.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation