Subject: Re: silo and packets: overflowing too-bigness
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1998 09:26:28
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:

> Looks to me like you've got transmission errors...
>
> "bad fcs" is "bad frame checksum"
>
> and, according to RFC1700 (Assigned Numbers), there's no such protocol
> code as 820.
>
> You could turn on the PPP Debug option to get more details on these, but
> my guess is that they're hardware/line reated.
>
> On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Brian Wildasinn wrote:
> >
> >         /netbsd: ppp0: bad protocol 820
> >         /netbsd: ppp0: bad fcs e262
> >         /netbsd: ppp0: bsd fcs 26f0
> >         /netbsd: zstty0: 3 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods

Your only recourse is to lower your connection speed. I can get no more
than 38400 out of my '630--57600 gives silo overflows, so I don't use it,
even though it hasn't caused any problems like you're haveing.

> > is there a way to have system generated errors sent to an xconsole or xterm
> > instead of having the bottom of the terminal screen constantly scroll
> > upwards and making the window xterms unreadable. So many "restarts" from twm
> > are necessary that twm bails out often leaving me to save a sesseion by
> > manually setting the setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/X11R6/lib just to stitch on
> > another window manager to save the session. This is very much like typeing by
> > memory in the dark or with your eyes closed when top windows are not accessable.

I don't understand why you're restarting twm for that. Simply
iconizing/expanding your windows should clean them up.

Obviously, you know about xconsole, since you mentioned it. If you have
xconsole running, and your screen is still getting messed up, perhaps you
are starting xdm/X from a root shell? xconsole only grabs the messages to
the console, not to the root user. You could fix that by editing
/etc/syslog.conf, but what you should be doing, IMO, is either running
startx from a user login, or setting the line in /etc/rc.conf to xdm=YES
and also turning off all gettys in /etc/ttys. Note that in the latter
case, you can still get a shell in single user mode, when you need it.