Subject: Re: silo and packets: overflowing too-bigness
To: None <bwildasiX@csulb.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1998 05:29:12
Looks to me like you've got transmission errors...

"bad fcs" is "bad frame checksum"

and, according to RFC1700 (Assigned Numbers), there's no such protocol
code as 820.

You could turn on the PPP Debug option to get more details on these, but
my guess is that they're hardware/line reated.

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Brian Wildasinn wrote:

> Hi!
> Just discovered GNUStep and the rest of the mail/news apps in the packages
> collection--great stuff! I'm glad that NetBSD has adopted a collection handling
> system comparible to FreeBSD's ports. This has proved quite a time saver having
> the dependency apps linked in and whatnot.
>
> Could someone take a crack at my connection errors and give me some pointers
> on where or how to solve these? It looks like three specific boogaloos are
> affecting my line of communication to the server I'm attached to thru pppd.
> Here's the errors:
>
>         http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/messages/
>
>         In condensed form here they are:
>
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bad protocol 820
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bad fcs e262
>         /netbsd: ppp0: bsd fcs 26f0
>         /netbsd: zstty0: 3 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
>
> These errors occur no matter what type of connection I make, like ftp knews
> lynx or others that travel thru the phone line. I gave up on Mozilla, Arena,
> and some other WWW browsers due to these errors.
>
> The fcs and silo come in a variety of what appears to be location errors,
> while the protocol 820 remains the same bad boy all the time. The link above
> is the /var/log/messages from some recent boots. My machine hardware and
> software is at the top along with the ppp connections.
>
> Any help will no doubt shed lots of light on this reoccuring problem that
> has been on this system since NetBSD-1.2D. All my ppp scripts tht i use now are
> available at : http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/ppp.tar.gz  BTW
> is there a way to have system generated errors sent to an xconsole or xterm
> instead of having the bottom of the terminal screen constantly scroll
> upwards and making the window xterms unreadable. So many "restarts" from twm
> are necessary that twm bails out often leaving me to save a sesseion by
> manually setting the setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/X11R6/lib just to stitch on
> another window manager to save the session. This is very much like typeing by
> memory in the dark or with your eyes closed when top windows are not accessable.
>
> Bye!
> Brian
> bwildasi@csulb.edu
> http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/

> E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
> Date: 25-Jul-98
> Time: 19:14:17
>
> This message was sent by XFMail

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |