Subject: Re: Installer and root partition roulette
To: None <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/1998 12:58:42
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 20:43:54 -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > As an alternative, would it make sense if we made Installer and kernel
> > prefer an AUX Root partition with "NetBSD" in its name over a plain
> > AUX Root partition?
>
> Unless it's changed, the kernel (at least) will prefer an A/UX Root
> partition in cluster 0 (a field of the partition data).  I did that
> to allow it to coexist with A/UX (which I was booting from an A/UX
> Root partition with cluster set to 1).

Ah, there has been a way to coexist with other OSes all this time!
So, you can make (at least) the kernel not try to mount Linux root
partition if it's marked as cluster 1.

Then, how do you mark a partition as cluster N?  I don't remember
seeing such a parameter in any of hard drive partition utilities I've
used (read: not many).

> > Or maybe we could arrange some kind of agreement with MacLinux people
> > on partition naming (or type) convention so that both OSes will be
> > able to distinguish correctly the other's partitions from their own.
>
> That would be good.  Dialogue with them, in general, would be a good thing.

Yes, this is IMO important.

If anyone has an idea otherwise, I'll talk with Michael Schmitz, a
MacLinux developer I know.

Ken