Subject: Re: Followup:Hello, any hints....
To: Chris <ferret@atlantis.nconnect.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1998 16:35:27
Chris wrote:
> okay,
>     like the posts that followed mentioned, my 4-button mouse was recognised
> but that'll be irrelevant til I have enough ram to X.
>     my ergo keyboard was recognised as an 'adjustable' keyboard.
>
> I down loaded emacs-20.2 and gtexinfo-3.12 and installed them via the
> installer.
> when I try to run emacs I get this message:
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libXaw.s.o.6: no such file or directory
> or this message:
> No ld.so
> so, if X is all installed:
> xbase
> xcomp
> xcontrib
> xfont
> xserver
> and emacs is all installed than what's missing or do I need to configure it
> for
> NetBSD. That wouldn't suprise me but it'd be the first time I installed
> emacs
> that it didn't do it.
>
>     problem two is that when I type '#adduser' or '#adduser <username>'
> I get: adduser: not found
>     I tried to do a find to make sure it was installed: #find . -name
> adduser -print
> and got: find: not found
>     I've read about such zen-like occurrences happening to others but it's
> never happened to me before.
>
>     did I screw-up my rc.conf? did the install go bad and I didn't notice?
> (I fell asleep, doing CAD can really tire you out :-)
>
> ugghh, I haven't had a flawless unix install since early '97
> why does the geek in me persist on trying to have a unix system in my house?

try either doing this:

mount -u /usr

or going into multi-user mode.

it sounds a lot like you're in single-user and don't have the /usr
directory currently available (this explains both the "no ld.so" and the
"find: not found" errors.

i hope this helps.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation