Subject: Re: Followup:Hello, any hints....
To: Chris <ferret@atlantis.nconnect.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1998 15:52:51
> I down loaded emacs-20.2 and gtexinfo-3.12 and installed them via the
> installer.
> when I try to run emacs I get this message:
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: emacs: libXaw.s.o.6: no such file or directory

Is /usr/X11R6/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf? I also have /usr/pkg/lib in there too.

> or this message:
> No ld.so

Weird!

>     problem two is that when I type '#adduser' or '#adduser <username>'
> I get: adduser: not found
>     I tried to do a find to make sure it was installed: #find . -name
> adduser -print
> and got: find: not found
>     I've read about such zen-like occurrences happening to others but it's
> never happened to me before.

The problem here is that no one can agree about what the adduser program
should do, so we don't have one. There is one in the pkg system, called
addnerd, in pkgsrc/sysutils/addnerd.

> ugghh, I haven't had a flawless unix install since early '97
> why does the geek in me persist on trying to have a unix system in my house?

Because it's a good thing!

Take care,

Bill