Subject: Re: Installer and root partition roulette
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1998 18:02:50
>BTW, in response to my own question earlier (and contrary to Paul's guess),
>the Linux booter would not attempt to grab the first Unix-root partition it
>sees, because (I should have remembered this) it specifically requires the
>root device and partition as one of its boot parameters.

But does it take a partition name or a partition number as the partition
param? If the name...then it'd likely be unique to a particular partition
(or at least could be made to be)...if it's the partition letter...then it
would depend on whether MacLinux is using "dynamic" partitioning like we do
(i.e. sd0a is by definition just the first un*x partition it sees & not
necessarily the first partition on the disk) or if they actually have set
partition letters whether or not the partition is mac, un*x, or whatnot.

>And one last question: Think there's any chance of using something akin
>to LILO, the Rhapsody dual-booter, or OpenFirmware for selecting an OS
>at start-up, once MacLinux and MacBSD can both boot without the help of
>MacOS?  Just trying to plan for the future... =)

Ummmm...Rhapsody won't run on Mac68k. That "FirmWare" part of OpenFirmWare
means actual, real hardware ROMs, which are not in any except the newer PCI
PowerMacs... so the Mac68k world could NEVER use either of those
methods...As for a LILO...that's possible, I think...but we're a ways away
from MacOS-independent at the moment.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.