Subject: Re: Installer and root partition roulette
To: None <jope@n2h2.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 22:23:02
> That was exactly the answer I was looking for.  I know the Mkfs tool names
> that partition "NetBSD Root", so don't see why the Booter doesn't look for
> that first, then roll over into the first Unix-type root partition.

Because it's only in the last 3 months that folks have really wanted to
dual boot NetBSD and Linux.

> The 8 (oops, damn, 7 =) Unix-type partition limit shouldn't be a prob
> since I can still stay within that pretty easily... root, swap, /usr
> for both OSes, and one may get lucky with /home. (yes, technically I
> could get by with one partition for each, two with swap, but I'd rather
> not skimp unless it's absolutely necessary)

W/ ext2fs support in the NetBSD kernel, NetBSD could mount some of the
Linux partitions. Also, you only need one swap partition. I think they
can both share. :-)

> For the partition field though, this is the name, right?  Rather than a

AFAIK, it's the name. I've never used it, though.

> position in the map or from the cylinder?  That distinction isn't clear
> just from looking at the boot params screen.  As what I would guess to be
> a pretty easy sidestep to that potentially confusing point, it would make
> sense to have a "Set.." button (like the MacOS kernel file alternative)
> for the drive and partition that pops up the exact same dialogues as in
> the Installer.  Oh well, something for the Booter-master's to-do queue
> maybe.  =)  Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.

Sounds good to me. But then again I'm not the booter keeper. :-)

Take care,

Bill