Subject: Re: Installer and root partition roulette
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: El JoPe Magnifico <jope@n2h2.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 22:50:02
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>>> The reason I ask, is that I'm experimenting with both Linux and NetBSD
>>> on my Mac, which naturally involves installing a filesystem for each.
>>> But my Linux root partition comes earlier than my NetBSD root partition,
>>> and is being picked up by the Installer as the root partition it should
>>> try to mount, which of course bombs the Installer.  Also, dunno if the
>>> Booter has this same problem, since it can't get any farther than it
>>> currently does without something installed.
>>
>> Yep - you'll have the same problem in the booter.
>
> I thought the reason for having the "root partition name" field in the
> booter was so that the booter and netbsd would look at a specific partition
> for the root partition. The idea being that you could have a root, and an
> alternate root, partition. You could also boot from either one.

That was exactly the answer I was looking for.  I know the Mkfs tool names
that partition "NetBSD Root", so don't see why the Booter doesn't look for
that first, then roll over into the first Unix-type root partition.

The 8 (oops, damn, 7 =) Unix-type partition limit shouldn't be a prob
since I can still stay within that pretty easily... root, swap, /usr
for both OSes, and one may get lucky with /home. (yes, technically I
could get by with one partition for each, two with swap, but I'd rather
not skimp unless it's absolutely necessary)

Yes, I know the Installer pops up a box with radio buttons for me to
choose the SCSI device.  But the next dialog is then one for partitions
on that device.  Thanks for pointing out that the Booter takes a SCSI
device as a boot parameter (which I apparently didn't notice, d'oh!)...
and even the partition (this is what I get for posting from a machine
where I don't have the booter right in front of me, to keep me from
putting my foot in my mouth =)

For the partition field though, this is the name, right?  Rather than a
position in the map or from the cylinder?  That distinction isn't clear
just from looking at the boot params screen.  As what I would guess to be
a pretty easy sidestep to that potentially confusing point, it would make
sense to have a "Set.." button (like the MacOS kernel file alternative)
for the drive and partition that pops up the exact same dialogues as in
the Installer.  Oh well, something for the Booter-master's to-do queue
maybe.  =)  Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.
-jope

 J.P. Montagnet               N2H2, Inc.          (206)336-1550 voice
 jope@n2h2.com      900 Fourth Avenue, Suite 3400   (206)336-1556 fax
 El JoPe Magnifico!       Seattle, WA 98164       http://www.n2h2.com