Subject: Re: Installer and root partition roulette
To: El JoPe Magnifico <jope@n2h2.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 19:27:18
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, El JoPe Magnifico wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> All I have access to is Apple's HD SC.
> It can't swing this kind of maneuver, can it?

I'm not sure, since I use FWB's Hard Disk ToolKit (which does NOT sort).

> > Well, NetBSD also supports only 8 partitions on a single device...
>
> Ah, but that's 8 _NetBSD_ partitions (isn't it?) not overall partitions,
> of which I have a hodge podge on this drive.

That's 8 Unix (alright, A/UX) partitions.  We don't and can't tell the
difference between Linux vs NetBSD partitions, AFAIK.

> > Another disk drive?  They're rather inexpensive these days.  :)
>
> How would the Booter know to use that drive though?
> If it goes along the SCSI chain from the lowest ID, it'll still catch
> on the Linux partition on the internal drive.  If it's random, well,
> that would make the original "roulette" subject line appropriate.  ;)

NetBSD's booter takes a SCSI ID number as one of its parameters, and it
will only look at that drive.

> Besides, I've sunk enough money into the Zip, 4GB internal, and an '040
> that the budget is a little thin at this point.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |