Subject: Re: Phaser print server?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 16:41:12
At 1:48 PM -0700 7/23/98, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
><<<This message is being sent both to the port-mac68k list for insight, as
>well as the original questioner>>>
>Another mailing list I'm on is for managers of Mac labs, & someone was
>recently inquiring about using an old Mac as a print server running
>MacLinux or NetBSD. I let him know kinda where the status of each project

I know in general it should be possible under MacBSD with netatalk.  You
need a kernel with netatalk enabled (all 1.3 and current generic
distributions are).  The netatalk distribution is needed for the various
daemons.  I can't answer to the details of how to do it or how well the
cancel capabilities will work.

There is some guidance for the setup in the netatalk package.

You want the machine that has the 230MB disk.  80MB won't cut it unless you
spend a lot of time stripping things down, and you still might have trouble
compiling netatalk for installation.  Putting two 80MB disks on one machine
would be OK.