Subject: Re: tar problem
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@wcnet.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 16:21:24
Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to upgrading to 1.3.2 and have downloaded the
> binary sets.  The problem is that lately random things have been breaking on
> my 1.2 system.  One of these things is tar.  Any attempt to invoke tar,
> including tar -v results in a segmentation fault/core dump.
>
> I don't want to use the installer utility if I don't have to, but I'm at a bit
> of a loss otherwise.  A friend suggested that I try to build a new binary from
> the source, but I can't untar the source even if I got it.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding what might be causing the
> problem and/or any possible workarounds.

Sounds like the binary is corrupted to me (do you have an '030-based
system?).  I keep a copy of tar in my home directory to guard against this
particularly annoying possibility (before I switched off some flag in the
SBC driver, I would get rather frequent disk corruption and had to
reinstall the sets using tar rather frequently...until tar got trashed,
now I know better :-)

In all reality, you just need to install enough of base.tgz to get tar in
there, then you can do the rest from within NetBSD.  Of course, if you can
find some nice person who is not behind a firewall to put up a nice
gzipped copy of tar somewhere accessible, that might be more useful ;-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation