Subject: Re: Hello, any hints for newbie w/IIsi
To: Chris <ferret@atlantis.nconnect.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1998 10:15:23
At 12:17 AM -0700 7/23/98, Chris wrote:
>I have a IIsi:
>5 MB RAM (soon to be more)
>700 MB quantum HD
>Apple NuBus Adapter Card w/FPU
>Asant=E9 MacConi 10BaseT/Aui ethernet card
>12" Apple RGB monitor
>Apple Ergonomic keyboard
>Kensington 4-button mouse w/#1 button broke - need a new one I guess :-)
>Is there any problems with these I may have missed or aren't in the known
>problems list?

I seem to recall some compatability comments about the Ergonomic keyboard a
long time ago, but nothing recient so assume it's OK unless you get a
problem.  Know nothing about Kensington 4-button mice.  Does it do Extended
Mouse Protocol?

>Do I need anything not in the base for setting it up on my ethernet LAN?

Doubt it.  The Asante NuBus cards are sort of the old standard standby.

>    I ask that cause I'd like to use it as a file server/ X-server.
>Has anyone used Apple's MacX software to access NetBSD from another Mac?

Yes, there was a post about a hack to get MacX to work with xdm less than a
month ago.  If you want to do anything with X you will need lots more than
that 5MB of RAM.  At a guess 16MB or more, but I don't run X on my system.

=46easibility of a new signature is currently being evaluated.