Subject: Re: Today's kernels
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1998 18:34:58
> Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:09:10 -0700 (PDT), Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > I'm wondering if folks have had any problems w/ kernels compiled recently
> > (like yesterday's SUP). I am. I'm not sure if the problem's the source,
> > or (more likely) I messed up my cross-compiling environment (which I think
> > I did).

[snip]

> What kind of problem are you having?

It won't boot. If I boot with serial echo on, I see nothing. If I boot w/o
serial echo, I get to just after the printout about system ram and
video addresses, and things hang. I never get to the copyright message.
I need to try serial console and see what it does.

I'm now starting to thing I messed something up in my source. I've had CVS
difficulties lately, and might have botched a merge.

I've tried using a large number of binutil setups, and xgcc's. Including
ones which worked under 1.2. I keep getting kernels which are BYTE-FOR-BYTE
identical between the different tool sets.

I'm quite frustrated. :-) I just made a GENERIC kernel from SUP sources
which I will try next time I get at the IIsi.

Are GENERIC kernels using UVM at the moment? Looking at GENERIC, I don't
think so. But I thought I'd ask. :-)

Take care,

Bill